Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I Want to be a Butterfly

I want to be a butterfly
Beautiful, and paper-thin,
Weightless, watching days go by,
Free of this indulgent sin.
When I can lay this body down
I'll free the butterfly within.

I want to be a butterfly
Delicate, like vintage lace,
Perfect, watching days go by,
Elegant, and filled with grace.
But each morning when I wake,
My butterfly is pinned in place.

I want to be a butterfly
Purified from mundane things,
Fragile, watching days go by,
Float through life on vellum wings.
Released at last, my spirit's freed,
The Butterfly in my soul sings.

~~~~~~~

This poem stemmed from my ED as well as my obsession with butterflies. Butterflies float, they're thin, ethereal, beautiful, whimsical, practically weightless. Just like I want to be.

This is a Stanza poem with a defined meter and rhyme.
Meter:

Line 1: Iambic Tetrameter
Line 2: Trochaic Tetrameter
Line 3: Trochaic Tetrameter
Line 4: Trochaic Tetramete
Line 5: Iambic Tetrameter
Line 6: Iambic Tetrameter

Rhyme:
A, B, A, B, C, B

If one were to write a stanza poem of their own, they could write each line with all the same meter, or they could change them up like I  did. Both can be equally challenging in their own respective ways. Also, rhyme schemes can change from stanza to stanza if desired. However, one set rhyme scheme can be more pleasing to the ear.

Good Luck Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment