Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"Limitations" and "Perfection"

"Limitations"

Like the rules we so often seek to bend,
I cannot stand the boundaries that are so often set for
Me.Why is your standpoint flawless, and mine
Is dangerous and labled with other pejoratives?
The way I look to me should
Always be more important than your discriptions.
Telling me that my view is wrong
Is one of the best ways to make my
Opinions only seem the more right in my eyes.
None of what you have said to me meant anything
Since your words are not full of love, but judgement.

~~~~~~~~~~~

This is an acrostic poem. I am sure most people had to write similar poems in elementary school, but those were probably the name of your pet, or your favorite color. Your thoughts were each contained in separate lines. Some of your lines may have only contained an adjective or two. This is a bit of a stream of consciousness. It is very free-verse other than the obvious vertical spelling of the word "limitations." I wrote this poem to be ambiguous so I could use it to show how CREATIVE acrostics are written without condemning myself and revealing my eating disorder. If you look very closely though, I'm sure you could see it peeking through a little bit though. The following poem is disguising the eating disorder far less. I hope you enjoy them both. And I also hope that you will be inspired to try something like this of your own! Good luck!

~~~~~

"Perfection"


Perspective makes all the difference when
Everyone is making judgements.
Rather than be criticized, and always
Fail their little tests, I will just stop
Eating. If I could just reduce the amount I
Consume, then I would be
Thin enough for them to think I am beautiful. My own
Image is distorted to me. No matter what I will seem
Overweight in my own eyes. You can't change me and your
Negativity will never fix what you see as my problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment